Compliments and complaints

We want to hear your feedback – good or bad – to help us ensure we are delivering a quality service to the community.


To tell us about something we've done well, you can submit a compliment by:

We will ensure that your compliment is passed onto the relevant departmental officer or team involved.


We are committed to effective complaints management by managing complaints in an accountable, transparent, timely and fair manner. For information on our complaints management process read our Complaints management Policy (PDF, 242 KB) Complaints management Policy (DOCX, 296 KB) and Complaints management Procedure (PDF, 268 KB) Complaints management Procedure (DOCX, 296 KB).

Complaints can be made regarding a range of issues, including:

  • a decision we have made or not made
  • a decision that we have made that breaches or restricts your human rights
  • the service that we have provided or not provided
  • a service that is funded by us
  • the behaviour of our employees
  • a breach of your personal information under the Information Privacy Act 2009.

If your complaint is about the way the department has handled personal information about you, please refer to Privacy complaints.

A complaint must be lodged within 1 year of the decision, action or inaction which resulted in dissatisfaction. Complaints made outside this period will be considered on its merits and will only be investigated at the department’s discretion.

The department of Children, Youth Justice and Multicultural Affairs will collect your personal information for the purpose of managing your complaint or feedback. In some cases, it may be necessary provide your personal information to third parties or other agencies for the purpose of responding to or managing your complaint or for evaluation purposes. Your personal information will be handled in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld).

Try to resolve the complaint

Complaints are best resolved at the local or regional level, so in the first instance please contact your local Service Centre. Service Centre Managers are responsible for managing complaints in Service Centres.

Make a complaint

If your complaint can't be resolved or you are dissatisfied with the response to your complaint, please contact our central Complaints Unit. Write down everything relevant to the matter in the order in which it happened. Make sure you include a description of what happened, dates, phone calls, letters and meetings. Let us know the outcome you are seeking or the action you want us to take.

You can make a formal complaint by:

  • phoning 1800 080 464 (free call)
  • sending an email
  • using the online form
  • posting your feedback to:

    Complaints Unit
    Department of Children, Youth Justice and Multicultural Affairs
    Locked Bag 3405
    Brisbane Qld 4001

Do you need an interpreter?

If you require an interpreter, please call the Translationz on (07) 3123 4887 and request to be transferred to the Complaint Unit on 1800 080 464

What happens after you make a complaint

Once we have received your complaint, the departmental officer managing your complaint will keep you informed of its progress. On completion of the complaint process, you will receive a written findings letter that responds the concerns to the you raised.  You are given the opportunity to provide feedback about whether you are satisfied with the outcome.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint or how your complaint was managed, you can request an internal review through the Complaints Unit (see above contact details). A request for an internal review needs to be lodged within 28 days of the closure of your complaint and include details about the specific aspects of the complaint findings or process you disagree with.  

Requesting an External Review 

Once your internal review is completed, you can pursue an external review.

Other key complaint resolution contacts

Once your internal review is completed, you can pursue an external review.

  • If your concerns were related to an administrative decision of the department, you can contact the Queensland Ombudsman by phone 1800 068 908 or sending an email
  • If you are dissatisfied with our response to your human rights complaint, you can contact the Queensland Human Rights Commission (QHRC) by phoning them on 1300 130 670 or sending an email.
  • If your concerns related to a funded non-government service provide you can contact the Industrial Relation Commission by phone 1300 592 987.
  • If your concerns related to an information privacy breach, you can contact the Office of the Information Commissioner Queensland by phone 1800 642 753

Your human rights

We are committed to upholding your human rights under the Human Rights Act 2019. Some of the human rights that may be limited by our department include:

  • the right to protection of families and children
  • cultural rights
  • right to education
  • right to health services
  • to privacy and reputation

If you do not think that we have observed your human rights in a decision that has been made, you can raise this with us through the complaints management process above. For more information on your human rights visit QHRC website. You may wish to get more information or some legal advice about your human rights. Legal Aid Queensland provides free legal advice by telephoning 1300 65 11 88.

Complaint managment documents